You configure cluster setup in the Webmin server configuration interface. When configured, the cluster appears as a single
server to the user. During configuration, you add each node individually and specify that the server is a participant in the cluster.
Configuring the first (primary) node
- Install StruxureWare Data Center Operation with cluster configuration. See how.
- Type the Data Center Operation server's IP address in a Web browser.
- On the Data Center Operation server's download page, click Server Configuration.
This opens the Webmin server configuration interface.
- Log into Webmin using the user credentials created during the installation (step 1) and navigate to StruxureWare DC Operation.
- In Setup, enter an IP address that is reserved on your network to be used as virtual address of the cluster.
This is the IP address that will serve as the common entry point to the cluster.
It must be a proper IP address and it must not be used by any other entities on the network.
- Configure system time synchronization (NTP).
Note: Correct time settings are crucial for cluster nodes. Ensure you configure this during installation. Recommendation: Synchronize the time on all nodes with the same NTP server.
The default NTP servers are fine if there is an Internet connection. If the Data Center Operation servers are on a closed network, you should add a local NTP server. You must configure time synchronization separately on each node.
- For improved security, specify a range of IP addresses allowed to administrate the cluster (Webmin allowed IP addresses).
For more information about security related settings, see StruxureWare Data Center Operation Security.
The default values for the other options should be fine, unless you have a special network setup.
- Click Setup and wait for the JBoss server to start up before continuing to the next node.
TIP: Configuring the node takes time. You can verify that the JBoss server has started up on the node in Webmin StruxureWare DC Operation>Status (status: Running).
Configuring the additional nodes
Prerequisite: You have configured the first (primary) node.
- On the first node's configuration interface, specify that the additional node is allowed to join the cluster.
- Open the Webmin server interface on the first node and navigate to StruxureWare DC Operation.
- In Cluster Participants, enter the IP address of the new additional node and specify that it is allowed to join the cluster.
- Accept the fingerprint of the additional node.
- On the additional node's configuration interface, specify which cluster to join.
- Switch to the Webmin interface on the new node by clicking the Webmin link or typing the IP address in the browser address line and navigate to StruxureWare DC Operation>Cluster Participants.
- Specify the virtual IP address of the cluster the additional node should join and verify the cluster's fingerprint.
This prevents middleman attacks on the cluster. The node will copy all the settings from the first node.
- Click Setup and wait for the JBoss server to start up on this node before continuing to the next node.
- Repeat the above steps for all additional nodes in the cluster.
Verifying the cluster setup
- Open the Webmin server interface on one of the nodes.
- In StruxureWare DC Operation>Cluster Participants, verify that the cluster setup includes the correct nodes.
- In StruxureWare DC Operation>Status, verify that the nodes are running.
The cluster environment has now been set up. Clients will connect to the virtual IP address of the cluster, not the nodes. You can continue to install the licenses.
To configure a stand-alone disaster recovery node for extra security, see here.